The Lloyd Geering reader : prophet of modernity / edited by Paul Morris and Mike Grimshaw.
By: Geering, Lloyd.
Contributor(s): Morris, Paul (Paul M.) | Grimshaw, Mike | Morris, Paul.Material type: BookPublisher: Wellington [N.Z.] : Victoria University Press, 2007Description: 400 pages ; 21 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9780864735478 (pbk.).Subject(s): Geering, Lloyd George | Geering, Lloyd George, 1918- | Geering, Lloyd, 1918- | Theology, Doctrinal | Theology, Doctrinal -- History | Modernism (Christian theology) | Christianity | Church and the world | Christianity -- 20th century | Christianity -- Forecasting | Theology, Doctrinal -- New ZealandDDC classification: 230
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||230 GEE||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Covering a period of more than 45 years, this is the first collection of the writings of international figure Lloyd Geering--a premier public intellectual who was once found guilty of heresy by the Presbyterian Church. With never-before-seen material, this compendium demonstrates the remarkable consistency in the thought of this increasingly influential thinker. Provocative and heartfelt, this compilation provides a fascinating coverage of the engagement of religion and the modern world.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 383-387) and index.
Includes bibliography (p. 383-387) and index.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Old Testament scholar -- The modern Christian -- The scholar of religion -- The antipodean Christian -- The global Christian.
Introduction: Lloyd Geering: Prophet of Modernity / Paul Morris -- Old Testament Scholar -- from Our Prophetic Heritage and its Place in the Preaching of the Word -- The Bible in the Modern World: Value of the Old Testament -- 'His understanding is unsearchable' -- The Modern Christian -- The Theological Challenge to the Church -- Darwin and the Theologians -- Is a New Reformation Possible? -- Freedom for Service -- A Contemporary Expression of Faith -- Faith and Doubt on the Margins -- Tomorrow's Spirituality -- Reshaping the Christian Culture which Shaped Us -- Christianity Minus Theism -- How is Science Related to the Judaeo-Christian Tradition? -- The Scholar of Religion -- Why Study Religion? -- from The Religion of the Individual in the Modern World -- from The World of Relation: An introduction to Martin Buber's I and Thou -- from On Becoming Human -- Humans: Angels or Devils? -- The Antipodean Christian -- Ultimate Concern in the Study of Religion -- from The Character and Role of Religion in Nineteenth-Century New Zealand -- The Church in the New World -- McCahon and Christianity -- God in Twentieth-Century New Zealand: A personal perspective -- The Global Christian -- Our Global Religious Future: The Process of Conflicting Tendencies Towards Unity and Diversity -- The Search for a 'World Theology' in a Radically New Age -- The Implication of Tolerance for Our Global Future -- An Ecological Faith for the Global Era -- from About Time -- Perspectives on the Future.
8 11 22 27 37 68 96 115
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Acknowledgements (p. 7)
- Introduction: Lloyd Geering: Prophet of Modernity (p. 8)
- Old Testament Scholar (p. 23)
- from Our Prophetic Heritage and its Place in the Preaching of the Word (p. 26)
- The Bible in the Modern World: Value of the Old Testament (p. 35)
- 'His understanding is unsearchable' (p. 41)
- The Modern Christian (p. 53)
- The Theological Challenge to the Church (p. 56)
- Darwin and the Theologians (p. 61)
- Is a New Reformation Possible? (p. 81)
- Freedom for Service (p. 89)
- A Contemporary Expression of Faith (p. 95)
- Faith and Doubt on the Margins (p. 103)
- Tomorrow's Spirituality (p. 119)
- Reshaping the Christian Culture which Shaped Us (p. 130)
- Christianity Minus Theism (p. 145)
- How is Science Related to the Judaeo-Christian Tradition? (p. 160)
- The Scholar of Religion (p. 177)
- Why Study Religion? (p. 180)
- from The Religion of the Individual in the Modern World (p. 197)
- from The World of Relation: An introduction to Martin Buber's I and Thou (p. 205)
- from On Becoming Human (p. 215)
- Humans: Angels or Devils? (p. 227)
- The Antipodean Christian (p. 237)
- Ultimate Concern in the Study of Religion (p. 240)
- from The Character and Role of Religion in Nineteenth-Century New Zealand (p. 249)
- The Church in the New World (p. 258)
- McCahon and Christianity (p. 266)
- God in Twentieth-Century New Zealand: A personal perspective (p. 276)
- The Global Christian (p. 293)
- Our Global Religious Future: The Process of Conflicting Tendencies Towards Unity and Diversity (p. 296)
- The Search for a 'World Theology' in a Radically New Age (p. 315)
- The Implication of Tolerance for Our Global Future (p. 335)
- An Ecological Faith for the Global Era (p. 348)
- from About Time (p. 359)
- Perspectives on the Future (p. 371)
- Bibliography (p. 383)
- Index (p. 388)