Maoriland : New Zealand literature, 1872-1914 / Jane Stafford and Mark Williams.
By: Stafford, Jane.
Contributor(s): Williams, Mark | Williams, Mark [author.] | Williams, Mark.Material type: BookPublisher: Wellington [N.Z.] : Victoria University Press, 2006Description: 350 pages : illustrations ; 21cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9780864735225 (pbk.); 0864735227 (pbk.).Subject(s): New Zealand literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism | New Zealand literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism | Maori (New Zealand people) in literature | Māori in literature | New Zealand literature 19th century History and criticism | New Zealand literature 20th century History and criticismDDC classification: 820.9
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||820.9 STA||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
This critical examination of Maoriland literature argues against the former glib dismissals of the period and focuses instead on thenbsp;era's importancenbsp;in the birth of a distinct New Zealand style of writing. By connecting the literature and other cultural forms of Maoriland to the larger realms of empire and contemporary criticism, this study explores the roots of thenbsp;country's modern feminism, progressive social legislation, and bicultural relations.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 326-340) and index.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
8 11 22 27 37 82 96 97 98 114 115 151 172 189
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Acknowledgements (p. 7)
- List of Illustrations (p. 9)
- Introduction: Colonialism and Embarrassment (p. 10)
- 1 The Encyclopedic Fantasy of Alfred Domett (p. 23)
- 2 The Bright Unstoried Waters: Jessie Mackay (p. 57)
- 3 Henry Lawson's Aesthetic Crisis (p. 85)
- 4 Smoothing the Pillow of a Dying Race: A. A. Grace (p. 110)
- 5 Katherine Mansfield: A Modernist in Maoriland (p. 142)
- 6 Edith Searle Grossmann: Feminising the Bush (p. 171)
- 7 Blanche Baughan's Spiritual Nationalism (p. 201)
- 8 Gentlemen in the Bush: William Satchell (p. 226)
- 9 The Maori Writer in Maoriland (p. 256)
- Conclusion: The Ends of Maoriland (p. 268)
- Notes (p. 276)
- Bibliography (p. 326)
- Index (p. 341)