Pilgrim days : from Vietnam to the SAS / Alistair MacKenzie.Material type: BookPublisher: Oxford : Osprey Publishing, 2019Description: 1 volume : illustrations (black and white, and colour), maps ; 24 cm.Content type: text | still image | cartographic image Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781472833181; 147283318X.Subject(s): MacKenzie, Alistair -- Career in the Armed Forces | Military art and scienceDDC classification: 355.0092
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||355.0092||Coming Soon|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
'We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go, Always a little further; it may be, Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow.'
If there was ever anyone who went a little further, a little beyond, it was Alastair MacKenzie. In a career spanning 30 years, MacKenzie served uniquely with the New Zealand Army in Vietnam, the British Parachute Regiment, the British Special Air Service (SAS), the South African Defense Force's famed ParaBats, the Sultan of Oman's Special Forces, and a host of private security agencies and defense contractors.
MacKenzie lived the soldier's life to the full as he journeyed "the Golden Road to Samarkand." This extraordinary new work from the author of Special Force: The Untold Story of 22nd Special Air Service Regiment (SAS) vividly documents, in a detail that stuns, the experience of infantry combat in Vietnam, life with the Paras, the tempo of selection for UK Special Forces, covert SAS operations in South Armagh and SAS Counter Terrorist training on the UK mainland, vehicle-mounted Pathfinder Brigade insertions into Angola, and maritime counter-terrorism work in Oman.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Glossary (p. 9)
- 1 Early Days, 1948-65 (p. 15)
- 2 New Zealand Army, 1966-73 (p. 20)
- 3 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, 1973-76 (p. 74)
- 4 22 Special Air Service Regiment, 1976-80 (p. 109)
- 5 1st Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, 1980-81 (p. 138)
- 6 44 South African Parachute Brigade (The Parabats), 1981-82 (p. 149)
- 7 KMS Limited, 1982 and 21 SAS (p. 171)
- 8 New Zealand Army, 1982-85 (p. 176)
- 9 The Sultan of Oman's Special Forces, 1985-89 (p. 181)
- 10 Royal Ordnance plc; Reliance Security Limited; Territorial Army, 1989-94 (p. 194)
- 11 AMA Associates Limited; Territorial Army; and a Return to New Zealand, 1994-present (p. 202)
- Index (p. 219)