A life of J.C. Beaglehole : New Zealand scholar / Tim Beaglehole.
By: Beaglehole, Tim H.Material type: TextPublisher: Wellington, nz : Victoria University Press, 2006Description: 559 pages ; 25 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 0864735359 (hbk.) :.Subject(s): Beaglehole, J. C. (John Cawte) | Scholars -- New Zealand -- Biography | Historians -- New Zealand -- BiographyDDC classification: 993.007202 | 993.03 Awards: Montana New Zealand Book Awards 2007 Finalist.
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Biographies||Davis (Central) Library Biographies||Biographies||B BEA||1||Available||T00429722|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
The life of one of New Zealand's greatest scholars, J. C. Beaglehole, is presented through firsthand writings, including previously unpublished letters, in this comprehensive volume. A prolific writer and critic--recognized in particular for his editing of James Cook's journals--Beaglehole devoted his life to academic freedoms, civil liberties, and improving the intellectual and cultural life of New Zealand. This biography, written by Beaglehole's son, weaves together all aspects of the scholar's life into an immensely compelling narrative.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Montana New Zealand Book Awards 2007 Finalist.
5 7 11 22 27 85 93 98 149 151 168 174
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Extended Family of J.C. Beaglehole (p. 8)
- Illustrations (p. 10)
- Acknowledgements (p. 13)
- Introduction (p. 15)
- Part I The Making of an Historian
- 1 Forebears (p. 23)
- 2 Childhood and Youth (p. 37)
- 3 Victoria University College, 1919-26 (p. 58)
- 4 London, 1926-27 (p. 79)
- 5 London,1928-29 (p. 116)
- Part II Discovering New Zealand
- 6 Dunedin, Hamilton, Auckland, 1930-32 (p. 151)
- 7 'Unemployed and odd jobs', 1933-35 (p. 187)
- 8 Victoria University College, Family and Friends, 1936-49 (p. 222)
- 9 'A peculiar sort of non-classifiable part-time public servant', 1939-52 (p. 269)
- 10 Public Life, Books, Music and Art, 1936-50 (p. 305)
- Part III Scholar and Public Figure
- 11 The Scholar at Work I: Editing the Endeavour Journals of James Cook and Joseph Banks (p. 349)
- 12 The Scholar at Work II: The Journals of the Second and Third Voyages and the Biography of Cook (p. 384)
- 13 Private Life and Public Causes (p. 422)
- 14 The Price of Eminence (p. 461)
- Notes (p. 480)
- Bibliography (p. 522)
- Index (p. 535)