How to use Evernote for genealogy : a step-by-step guide to organize your research and boost your genealogy productivity / Kerry Scott.Material type: BookPublisher: Cincinnati, Ohio : Family Tree Books, Copyright date: ©2015Description: 239 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.Content type: text | still image Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781440343834.Other title: Evernote for genealogy.Subject(s): Evernote -- Handbooks, manuals, etc | Genealogy -- Computer programmes -- Handbooks, manuals, etc | Genealogy -- Data processing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc | Note-taking -- Computer programmes -- Handbooks, manuals, etc | File Organisation (Computer science) -- Computer programmes -- Handbooks, manuals, etcGenre/Form: Handbooks and manuals.DDC classification: 929.10720285
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||929.1072 SCO||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Maximize Your Research Progress!
Harness the powerful, timesaving organization features of Evernote's free software and mobile apps to manage your genealogy research. This comprehensive user guide explains how to organize all kinds of genealogy clues--from notes and e-mails to vital records and audio files--so the information is easily searchable, accessible on any device, and automatically backed up in the cloud. Step-by-step instructions show you how to file research materials, analyze research clues, collaborate with cousins, and share your family history.
In this book, you'll findEvernote tips and strategies specifically for genealogy researchers, with real-life examples Step-by-step instructions for managing different types of genealogy information, from research notes to document images to web clippings Tricks for using Evernote to speed up research tasks, including transcription and research logs Suggestions to search-optimize your Evernote data so your information is easy to find Ideas for enhancing Evernote with external apps Tips to protect your data and troubleshoot common issues Worksheets to help you organize your notebooks and stacks Whether you're an Evernote newbie or dedicated user, How to Use Evernote for Genealogy will change your research life by showing you how this free tool can make you a better, more efficient genealogist.
Getting acquainted with Evernote -- Getting started in Evernote -- Organizing in Evernote -- Finding data in Evernote -- Taking advantage of tags -- Using different types of data -- Sharing and collaborating -- Putting it all together -- Syncing and securing your Evernote data on mobile devices -- Enhancing Evernote with external tools -- Protecting your Evernote files -- Troubleshooting -- Appendix A, Evernote quick reference guide -- Appendix B, Census extraction templates -- Appendix C, Genealogy conference planner -- Appendix D, Research worksheets and templates.
2 5 11 37 68 96 151 161 172 175 183 184
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction (p. 7)
- Chapter 1 Getting Acquainted with Evernote (p. 8)
- Evernote isn't quite like any other genealogy tool. In this chapter, we'll discuss just what this free software is all about and why it's exactly what you need to become a better genealogist.
- Chapter 2 Getting Started in Evernote (p. 19)
- In this chapter, we'll go over how to download Evernote, set up an account, and create your first note. We'll also discuss in detail the big question: Basic (free) account, Plus subscription, or Premium subscription?
- Chapter 3 Organizing in Evernote (p. 36)
- Sometimes it's hard to get started because you're stuck on trying to figure out an organization scheme. In this chapter, we'll explore a variety of ways to structure your data. We'll also talk about Evernote's built-in tools to keep you organized.
- Chapter 4 Finding Data in Evernote (p. 55)
- It's no use having lots of great information about your ancestors if you can't find it again. Evernote has you covered with a fast, user-friendly search function. In this chapter, we'll go over how to ensure you can find exactly what you need, when you need it.
- Chapter 5 Taking Advantage of Tags (p. 63)
- Tags aren't just for finding what you're looking for. They're a secret weapon you can use to help analyze your data and spot patterns, hidden clues, and connections between people, places, and things. In this chapter, you'll find lots of ideas on how to use tags to break down your brick walls.
- Chapter 6 Using Different Types of Data (p. 81)
- In this chapter, we'll explore all the genealogy items you can include in your Evernote notes. From photos to documents to web clippings to audio files, you'll learn exactly how to work with the wide range of information Evernote can accommodate.
- Chapter 7 Sharing and Collaborating (p. 111)
- Dead people are great, but most of us have to occasionally interact with living cousins and colleagues at some point. This chapter will show you all of the ways Evernote can make the collaboration process run smoothly so you can concentrate on finding more ancestors.
- Chapter 8 Putting it all Together (p. 130)
- How does a real-life genealogist use Evernote on a daily basis? In this chapter, you'll find out. You'll see concrete examples and a long list of ideas for how you can use Evernote to be a more successful family historian.
- Chapter 9 Syncing and Securing Your Evernote Data on Mobile Devices (p. 158)
- Evernote is portable, and it works on all of your devices. That's a great benefit, but it brings some special security challenges. In this chapter, we'll talk about how to keep your important data safe and secure, even on the road.
- Chapter 10 Enhancing Evernote with External Tools (p. 166)
- A host of add-ons make Evernote even better. In this chapter, we'll talk about tools to help you get the most out of your Evernote experience.
- Chapter 11 Protecting Your Evernote Files (p. 173)
- As genealogists, we know the importance of being good stewards of our family's history. This chapter will show you how to back up your data in a number of ways so they're preserved for future generations.
- Chapter 12 Troubleshooting (p. 185)
- Sometimes things go wrong. Before you panic, check out this chapter, where you'll find solutions for the most common stumbling blocks for Evernote users. We'll also talk about where to go for more help, advice, and support when you need it.
- Appendix A Evernote Quick Reference Guide (p. 197)
- Appendix B Census Extraction Templates (p. 202)
- Appendix C Genealogy Conference Planner (p. 224)
- Appendix D Research Worksheets and Templates (p. 227)
- Index (p. 232)